- This event has passed.
Understanding Bitcoin Technology: KZN Chapter SIG Event – 24 July 2019
July 24, 2019 @ 16:00 - 18:00
Blockchain and cryptocurrency have created much hype and disruption in the last two years. After a long cryptocurrency bear market there are many that are questioning the longevity of the technology and digital currency.
In this presentation John Singh will talk about the technology that underpins Bitcoin which is the first implementation of blockchain. This will cut through all the hype and focus on the computer science fundamentals that make this a great technology with an excellent future. The specific topics that will be covered are as follows:
- An overview of Bitcoin technology.
- A basic discussion on private and public keys and how it is utilised in Bitcoin.
- Bitcoin transactions and how they are technically structured.
- The bitcoin scripting language.
- Bitcoin mining, proof of work and the building of transaction blocks in the Blockchain.
- The distributed consensus mechanism and how it solves the Byzantium generals problem.
John Singh is a Senior Systems Analyst at the Spar Group LTD. John discovered an interest in Blockchain and Cryptocurrency about two years ago. He has invested in cryptocurrency and spent much of his spare time learning about the technology behind the blockchain. John has an online Blockchain Specialisation Certification from the University of Buffalo and has studied the Mastering Bitcoin and Mastering Ethereum books by Andreas M Antonopoulos. He has also attended Blockchain Africa 2018/2019. John is passionate about presenting Blockchain in a simple and understandable way so that individuals can make better decisions on how they wish to use the technology.
Click here to register for this KZN event.
Venue, snacks and refreshments have been kindly sponsored by Vodacom.